View Single Post
      09-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor

Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthatch View Post
I can never figure out why someone would NOT believe that BMW knows what is best for the car that they designed, engineered, built, and has won critical acclaim over. They didn't miss a beat when it came to these elements, but don't know when the oil needs to be changed?

Not saying it's a bad idea to change the oil earlier, it just seems like a waste of time and money to me.
Before BMW started the 'free maintenance' the oil change interval was 7500 miles. Immediately after the new maintenance program, the interval went to 15000. Please try to imagine just how much money they save in materials and time by making it 15000 miles?

And lucky us...any problems from the 15000 mile intervals probably wont surface until after the warrantee period expires...oh joy, what fun that will be to replace VANOS or crank bearings on our own dime...

Do yourself and the next owner of your car a favor and drop the whole $100 in fluid/filter and change the oil like every other car...5-7K miles.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
ace996 is offline   United_States