synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
CSL has become an icon, and people are interested in how far things can be pushed for a given chassis. If CSL should be of no interest to anyone, then so shouldn't the GT3, F430, etc. If you own a E92 chassis car, it is only natural that you might have developed an affinity toward what the E92 CSL might be capable of.

Also, for most people, ownership experience does go beyond the car one is in possession of. People do buy into a specific brand/culture/values to a certain degree when they spend $65k on a car. The "M" label has something to do with that. No point in denying it. And if that brand/culture/values are "diluted"--as in M SUVs--it is natural that some people will not like it. Otherwise, how could one justify paying $200k+ for a Ferrari for instance? There is an emotional component to all of this.

Finally, it is not at all clear that the GT3 would perform better than a hypothetical E92 CSL, and an F430 would most likely cost more than 1.5 times a hypothetical E92 CSL.

Why do you care that some people care about the CSL?
Very well said. But would you said by bringing in the Cayenne, Porsche has tarnished its own name? Proud 911 owners still enjoy the way that their car drives; the Cayenne didn't "dilute" the Carerra experience did it? Just because //M made an SUV, it's not going to make their brand and other cars worse.

As a E92 owner, I am indeed interested in finding out how far we can push this chassie. However, aren't there enough after market tuner for that? Dinan's 650hp M3, is that far enough for you?

As for cost, is it really a factor? A GT3 might not out perform the hypothetical CSL, but at least you have a real shot in getting one. Even if they did make a CSL, especially if you are in north america, you chance of getting one is slim to none.

I'll be interested in a CSL, but I won't complain if they don't make one. And neither will I complain about M SUVs. As long as //M still makes cars that lives up to traditions and standards, I'll still be a loyal customer.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0