View Single Post
      08-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #26
JAJ
Captain

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Putting a bar on just one end of the car reduces grip at that end but increases grip at the other end. That of course ignores the effects on the cars camber curve which is usuallly favorible.

But if you put bars on both ends and just reduce the roll of the car and don't change the front/rear roll stiffness you don't change the ballance of the car at all, and you don't decrease the grip at either end.

If your theory was right, you could just take both sway bars off and have more grip, right?
All of the effects, the movement of the CG off the centerline with roll and the camber curve of the suspension geometry, are second-order effects. As the car rolls, the CG moves away from the C/L. That transfers additional weight to the outside tire. Stiffer springs reduce roll and transfer less. Swaybars don't transfer less, they just roll less - a "stealth" reduction in performance.

The M3 suspension is all about travel and camber control - three track days and my tires are wearing evenly, even without any additional camber over stock. Very unusual.

The handling prescription, based on computer modeling for my E39 M5 was smaller bars and bigger springs to control weight transfer. I switched cars instead.