View Single Post
      08-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
TheBry
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2012 740Li (F02) Loaded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Install and coding. I do NOT want them to run into an issue with coding, then blame it on my install!

Its a good thing too.....

I dropped the car off for the 1,200 mile service this morning. I gave the service writer my list of things to do....2nd in line was install and code alarm. He called me back and said......we only have time to do your 1,200 mile service. The rest of the stuff will take too much time and we only have your car scheduled for xxx time. So, NO to the alarm, no to the radio problems, no to the windshield trim that was scratched on delivery, no to the trim that was spotted up on delivery, no to the stalling issue, no to the ignored shift commands, etc. Here's what really pisses me off about this....when I called to make the appt., I told the guy 1,200 mile service, and a few other items. Asked if he needed to know what they were..answer was no, we can take care of that when you arrive. I got to thinking...and called back. Are you sure you don't want my list of things I want done when I come in, I think they will require some time to complete? Answer was no, no worries, we will write it up when you arrive. I already PAID for the alarm and it is sitting in the special order bin...guess it will sit there a bit longer now. I am not too happy to have to bring my car in AGAIN. I have too much crap to do to have to deal with this...I am not very happy right now.

Alarm: He said the last alarm install they did went great, but the coding took 6 HOURS to get right. I was like, screw that, lets schedule an appt for next week and you can give me a loaner too, just in case. I cannot afford to be without a ride as I have too many other commitments...if the car aint ready when promised, I am screwed.

So............hearing that they have been having coding issues, I am glad I am letting them install it. Yeah, its just plugging in a few wires, etc., but I will be damned if they are going to blame me if it does not code correctly.
This was my experience as well (the Alarm installation). They had my car for roughly 6 hours, and refused to take it on a Friday in the event they'd have to keep my car over the weekend.

The issue is that the alarm installation requires them to merge the alarm software with the on-board software then completely re-load the onboard software (which controls basically every function of the car). Once that's done, they have to test everything -- it does take hours.

However, the alarm works great, and I'm glad I had the install done. Just another layer of assurance for me. The install was covered in the price of the alarm which was $645.

Past: 2004 E46 330ci Convertible
Present: 2008 E93 M3
Present: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)