View Single Post
      08-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #18
IWC Doppel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

I am personally not concerned about 10mm spacers affecting wheel bearings.

Look at what is actually happening here, the centreline of the wheel and centre point of the forces will move 10mm further out. We can assume that a spacer acts in the same way as a wheel with a different offset (high quality spacers)

The forces on the wheel bearings may see additional leverage and therefore additional force, but this needs to be put in context. The small potential increase will be marginal in comparison to the varied forces a wheel bearing may or may not see in various road/track situations. IF any increase was marginal then the bearings would be a marginal and a problem.

I am not sure what front wheel bearings an E46 CSL has but the CSL alloys have a different offset to std E46M3 wheels. Most aftermarket wheels have different offsets AC Schnitzer e92 M3 wheels vary by as much as 15mm increase in offset (ie reduced negative offset) so the same effect as fitting a 15mm spacer to stock wheels.

I ran an E39 M5 with 10mm front spacers for 70,000 miles no problems. Porsche sell different wheels or the same car with marginally different offsets and the latest option list allows you to factory order 5mm spacers !

I owned a Porsche 964RS for 10 years, the standard mod for track work was 22mm rear spacers and 11mm front spacers. I never changed this set up and never had a problem.

Look at FACTORY race cars they run stock bearings with some very aggressive offset wheels.

I am sure you could get a situation where you did have problems but not without first fitting a wide arch kit !
Appreciate 0