View Single Post
      08-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #35
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan55 View Post
Before you go start modding your pedals I would advise you practice braking a bit later (and by default harder) than you normally do now. The gas pedal is designed to be, and will be, much easier to blip under heavier braking. It's not really designed to be heel-toe blipped under light casual braking. Also it might help to be in Sport Plus accelerator setting as this will make the pedals more sensitive. On the track, you're braking so hard that instead of rolling your foot you almost have to pivot on the ball of your foot and stab the gas with your heel. If you ever drive an older car or a formula anything race car with no power assisted controls you really have to jab the gas for even a small blip.
Thanks for the perspective. Actually, I tried the stock setup on the track and wasn't all that comfortable with the pedal spacing there either. I have trimmed my initial extension plate design down considerably (too much extension to begin with) and am now at a rather small extension distance. That was all I needed as it works great!

I see your point about power assist though. Yes, that is where the term "heel & toe" comes from as I can see the need for using both the heel and the ball of your foot in that situation. And power assist does indeed allow you to accomplish the blip with just a roll without losing your hold on the brake pedal.

It turns out SportPlus on the track is not an optimal setting for other reasons; it does take away from your ability to control the throttle input carefully coming out of turns, etc.