View Single Post
      08-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #67
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
How can one be responsible for the quality of his own healthcare? A person with perfect genes and perfect health can, but what is left to others? Government is a compromise, but civilized society is based on a notion that the strong help the weak even if they don't really want to.
I disagree with this popular American despise for the goverment. If there is no government, the law becomes simple: the strong kills the weak. period. That applies to both humans and businesses. That, of course, results in "healthy natural selection," but for civilized educated people living in a jungle is not pleasant.
I think you are confusing healthcare with health. Healthcare is a service provided by trained medical personnel who I can choose based on the health issues I am experiencing, the cost, the quality of service provided, my overall comfort with the provider, etc... The question is what is the proper role for government, if any, in the providing of this service.

It is not a question of government or no government. Conservatives and libertarians are not anarchists. They recognize that there is a real and necessary role for government in society but they simply want that role to be limited. Government is different than any other entity in society in that it has a monopoly on the lawful use of force to get what it wants. Imposing that force should not be done lightly.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States