View Single Post
      07-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: R8 5.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
The Eisenmann may have been designed by NASA and manufactured out of some pure titanium alloy by robotic assemblers in a cleanroom, and it may be built to tolerances so exact that it would take new theories of quantum mechanics to spot imperfections, but it's still just a muffler and some fancy chrome tips that cost $2600. It could be the absolute best muffler that will ever be built in all of automotive history, but is it *really* worth $2600? Let's put this into perspective: I could just about buy a Mac Pro for that, or a pretty good flatscreen tv, or a set of fully assembled AFR aluminum cylinder heads for an LS1 engine.

Someone has got to be making about $2000 profit on this, at least.
The Eisenmann is indeed very good quality, but honestly out of all the exhausts I have seen in my life the japanese and even american companies appear to have better welds than the European counterparts (I have had Eisenmann and Supersprint previously). Again, I would get an Eisenmann over other manufacturers if the price were more in line with e46 M3 pricing. I highly doubt the Eisenmann muffler for an e46 M3 costs $2500 now even given the weak value of the USD and higher price of raw materials. I am guessing perhaps $1800 tops...probably less. The truth is the $2600 price was probably arrived because the car is a new model, costs $70k, and is an M3. If it were a $70k Z06 and Eisenmann made mufflers for it, they would probably cost half as much...
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India