Hey, check out the new vid of the M3 GTR rollout!
This is the new 2009 ALMS GT Champion!
First unveiled earlier this year in Chicago, BMW makes its return to the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) with a new race-ready BMW M3. After one year of development, the fourth generation E92 based M3 racecar, set out onto the track for the first time, and this video captures the moments.
During the 2001 season, it was pointed out by ALMS rival, Porsche, that the highly successful BMW's E46 M3 GTR was not legitimate with its V8 engine, a homologation violation since all production M3 vehicles had straight six engines. Ensuing weight penalties would have made the GTRs unable to compete in 2002. As a result, BMW withdrew, and since then BMW has been absent from ALMS, until now.
BMW has had an illustrious history with the ALMS starting with the first race ever of ALMS, won by Tom Kristensen, Jorg Muller and Finnish driver, JJ Lehto, in their BMW V12 LMR for the Twelve Hours of Sebring in 1999. More specific to the M3 racecar, BMW also took the checkered flag 53 times out of 118 races from 1995 to the end of 2006.
Source: BMW Press Release
Technical Specifications BMW M3 Race Version.
* Weight: 2,535 lbs./1150 kg
* Tank capacity: 29 gallons/110 Liters
* Chassis/body: Unitary construction steel body with welded safety cell made of extremely rigid precision steel tubing; safety fuel tank in CRP sandwich tray; pneumatic four-stamp jack system
* Aerodynamics: Front fenders, rear apron, hood, roof, trunk lid, rear wing, front wings, and flared rear wheel arches in CRP
* Transmission: Carbon fiber clutch with hydraulic central slave cylinder; 6-speed sequential racing transmission with straight-cut, unsynchronized gears; additional oil/air cooler; quick shift system with ignition cut-out controlled by shifting force; mechanical limited slip differential with additional oil/air cooler
* Front axle: Based on production version, with increased wheel caster angle, enlarged track width and enhanced wheel camber; five-way adjustable shock absorbers; tubular stabilizer bar
* Rear axle: Based on production version, with enlarged track width and enhanced wheel camber; five-way adjustable shock absorbers, tubular stabilizer bar
* Front brake system: Six-piston aluminum brake calipers, inner-vented grey-cast iron brake disks 15.0 in./380mm in diameter
* Rear brake system: Four-piston aluminum brake calipers, grey-cast iron brake disk, 13.1 in./332mm in diameter
* Steering: Rack and pinion steering with electro-hydraulic power
* Wheels: Aluminum wheels, 18 inches
BMW P65 Engine.
* Type: Eight cylinder, V-configuration
* Capacity: 3999 cc
* Bore x stroke: 92 x 75.2 mm/3.62 x 2.96 in.
* Max. output: approx. 485 bhp
* Max. torque: approx. 368 lb-ft/500 Nm
* Cylinder block: Aluminum cylinder block construction with bed plate lower section
* Crankshaft: Steel crankshaft
* Pistons: Forged skirt pistons
* Conrods: High-performance steel
* Cylinder head: Aluminum DOHC (Double Over Head Camshaft); four valves per cylinder
* Valve train: Four overhead chain-driven camshafts, valve actuation via rocker arms
* Intake system: Eight throttle valves, made of CRP with load-charge optimized ram tubes
* Exhaust system: Headers, mufflers
* Fuel system: Single cylinder multi-point injection
* Lubrication: Dry sump lubrication
* Cooling: Water/air cooler and oil/water heat exchanger
* Engine management: BMW Motorsport ECU 408 with two high-performance micro-processors; Individual cylinder injection and ignition; BMW Motorsport Lambda Controller
Pit speed limiter, Quick Shift function; Engine data memory system
* Energy management: Electric energy management and monitoring with BMW Motorsport POWER400 control unit, networking of all sensors and actuators through bus system
* Wiring harness: Weight optimized
* Ignition coil: Eight high-performance pencil coils with integrated ignition drivers
* Spark plugs: High-performance spark plugs
* Cockpit: Free programmable LCD Display with integrated shift indicators
* Steering wheel: Quick release multi-function steering wheel w/ integrated display unit