O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Exclamation Correct Differential / LSD Oil

Hey guys, while browsing I noticed that some of you guys have had grinding/rubbing noises coming from your rear diff/lsd.

I have not had nor heard this in my car yet but i noticed that the oil used for 1200 mile service was:

(2) 83-22-1-470-080L - 1 Liter XJ

I did a little research and found this:

Quote:
This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated February 2008.

SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
E46 M3 from start of production

E60 M5 from start of production

E63, E64 M6 from start of production

E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.

This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations.
For example : while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise.

This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.

The break-in time varies depending on driving habits.
For example : tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
If a complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.

Road test the vehicle. (the part I hate the most and every other technician.perhaps most of them skip this part.I would rather give you the option to perform this or at least inform you of this procedure.)

With the vehicle at operating temperature
Drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.

The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Its necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated as stated by the manufacturer.

Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.

It basically says that the new formulated oil will only be used if the car exhibits signs of grinding/rubbing. However some say that 83-22-1-470-080L is still not the correct oil.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...erential+fluid

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/archive.../t-491002.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-15008.html

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=83475

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
I have been around and around with BMWNA about this issue. All '05s and '06s come from the factory with the "oil recommended for noise problems" . BMW has finally realized as other manufacturers have known for limited slip differentials, a special additive is needed to keep clutches oily. You call the BMWNA 800 # 831-1117 and they will provide you with the information that BMW recommends 83222282583 for all M-cars. This is the SAF-XJ + FM booster. If you use SAF-XJ, eventually the clutch/discs will start to grind and eventually they get so loud, you can't drive the car in peace, then they will fail. Its up to you which oil you use. Once out of warranty, you pay and that's about the time the discs go to pot if you have been using the oil without FM booster. :banghead: :banghead:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Because you seemed so disturbed about my oil recommendation vs your dealer's, I called my BMWNA excutive rep and told her your story: that certain dealers said 83222282583 is only for noisy differentials and that if not noisy, stay with 83221470080.

Her comments: It is too bad that some dealerships interpreted SIB 330102 in such fashion. They need to keep themselves better informed to new engineering recommendations. That SIB was sent out to alert dealers that 583 is correct and there would be transtion from 080 to 583. I said using 080 costs BMW big bucks in warranty repairs. She agreed and said engineers have decided to do the transition in this fashion, that is,"only change oil to 583 if grinding is reported." I would think this is a bit inconsiderate of BMW because it sometimes takes 20-30Kmiles before chatter starts and the car is often out of warranty.
Well anyway, use the oil you want. As long as your car in under warranty, it is BMW's problem. However, when 080 was placed in my differential at 48Kmiles (insp 2), at 74K miles (out of warranty), the differential chattered so bad the damm thing would have come apart if I would have attempted to make it to the dealer.
Thanks to M3forum, several members, from their grind-problems,recommended 583, I ordered it ($23 + $17 for the 14 mm allen socket) and installed it. The grind disappeared.
I am not sure why BMW doesn't understand that 080 doesn't have sufficient
additives for limited-slip differentials (LSD). However BMW now seems to understand the difference because only 583 is present in 2006 LSDs.

In the book "Car hack/mods, the author provides an excellent discussion of LSDs. He says these clutch type LSDs are the best for performance and predicability on acceleration coming out of turns. He provides some negatives 1. short life on clutch packs, 2. should be serviced every 6 months, 3. need frequent fluid changes wiht expensive fluids to keep clutch packs in good working order (583 vs 080) and 4. a very specific break-in procedure is required in driving several figure 8s for extended periods of time (SIB 330102)and 5. failure to properly break in a clutch LSD will shorten its life and increase theamount of chatter you will hear and feel (cabin boom).
You be the judge: 583 (+$23) or cheapo 080 with lots of problems downstream. :smiley_ab

^ all those contain good info and suggest that 83 22 2 282 583 should be used.

So my question is, how many of you received 83-22-1-470-080L after your first service? Check your service invoices, if you didn't get one call up your service adviser and ask for one.

Also, should I and other members who got 83-22-1-470-080L put in our cars demand they replace it with 83 22 2 282 583 even though we do not have grinding/rubbing noises?

Last edited by nusevad; 07-08-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0