View Single Post
      06-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep

Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
So what about the CF splitters people are adding to the front bumper?
I haven't looked at the bottom of an M (as my car hasn't been built yet) but I would assume that BMW hasn't gone as crazy as Ferrari do in working the smoothe flow of air along the bottom. If that's the case, I'd think that the splitters might add a touch of downforce (and drag as pointed out above) without having any real negative impact on the designed airflow of the car. I'd be hesitant to put them on just because I know I'd clip them on something during the first week of ownership. (Or better yet, leave the car backed out a touch so they don't get damaged, and have some lady in a Suburban hit the car while she's talking on her phone, when she would have missed me by three inches with a stock car.) To be completely honest, I don't think you could do many aero mods that would have much of an impact below 100mph in terms of noticeable performance. Maybe you'd have slightly more drag, which costs you an extra gallon of gas after 100 fill-ups, but I think all that could be noticeable is some noise from the part. (That's easy to hear on side-mirrors, but unlikely from a part bolted, literally, the furthest distance from your ear possible, on a moving car.) Just turn the radio up a click.