View Single Post
      05-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
Ronin13
First Lieutenant

Drives: DKG E92 M3, S2K, JGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
This is basically what I was trying to say... I think we both are just explaining it a bit differently. What I was trying to say is exactly how you explained it in point 2 of your description. What is "Sport Mode" is how the non-EDC car is normally. I think BMW makes it a bit confusing with their term "Sport" and "Normal" This terminology makes it easy for someone to assume if you don't have the option "sport" than you must be in "normal" but in fact what you don't have is the option "normal" it's just a play on words by BMW to make it sound more appealing. Hopefully I'm making sense with that explanation.
I would agree that damping in the EDC car in Sport Mode behaves like a non-EDC car does. Basically with the shocks both having fixed compression and rebound rates. However, the Sport Mode fixed rates are higher in the in the EDC car than the fixed rates on the standard dampers. I think that's what you were saying.

It was said earlier, but the key to EDC is the real time dynamic adjustments in Normal Mode. Stiffer isn't always better as what you really want your dampers to be doing is helping to maintain contact patch. Normal Mode has the ability to go softer or stiffer than the fixed rates in Sport Mode as the situation demands.
Ronin13 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0