View Single Post
      05-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #61
snoopy
Private
Rep
Drives: 350z touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
I am picking up what your throwing down but then how does one justify buying an Aston Martin DBS for $250K over a 997TT or even an M3. Both Germans have superior or matching performance. If we start going down this road then look at all the Maserati GT's and Jags being sold despite having inferior performance to cars that cost half as much..... You really cant just take performance numbers over all else either.

I have a big ego, like any other car nut, and numbers mean a lot to me but I am willing to admit that differences measured in fractions of seconds do not translate well to the street. Granted, I am not dumb enough to believe that I can take a GTR from a stop light. Does this downplay the M3? Does it downplay the Aston DBS that an M3 can give it a run for its money at 1/4 the price? Money being a non-issue, would you really take the M3 over the Aston? Think about it....

Jason

why would you bring the aston martin into this? I'm sure the m3 can do more than give the rolls royce phantom a run for its money. And i don't get what you mean when you say " Money being a non-issue ", Of course money is an issue.

Everyone ( including the magazine ) has ruled out the porsche because of the price so the main comparison is between the gtr and the bmw. Both of these cars were made to be killer quick cars that you can live with everyday. And its clear the bmw lost. I don't know why people are arguing about the m3 being better because of its usability, if you wanted usability get a 328 , 335. The reason anyone would consider the ///m version is because they want more power and better performance. Its pretty logical, the m division isn't there to make nice friendly couch-mobiles that can carry your family and stow a tent. The purpose of m is to take those couch-mobiles and turn them into performance monsters. So arguing that the m3 is better, not because of what the m division has put into it, but rather arguing that its the natural 3 series characteristics that make it better seems kind of insulting to bmw.

Both cars were built for speed.
Both cars were built to be user friendly everyday cars.
Both have rear seats, trunk space, sat nav, leather, a/c, etc...

but one is by far faster.

Unless you're going to argue higher quality leather on the inside and a better looking console are what you should judge a car off of, people on here make it seem as if the gtr has an interior similar to fred flinstones car.

But however if you are a brand loyalist i completely understand. The m badge does have a lot of history and passion behind it and it truly is an honor to have it bestowed on a car. I also understand if your someone 40+, datsun vs. bmw M isn't a really hard decision to make. And if your a TRUE old fashioned motor enthusiast who would rather die than use an automati tip-shiftomatic doo hickey, then i understand as well, for the money the m3 is probably one of the best driving experiences someone can purchase, fueled by bmw's long racing heritage.

Both are great cars, ones a lot faster, the other has nicer leather, an m badge, and is offered in a good old 6 speed manual.
Appreciate 0