Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Things I love about DCT:

1. Smooth take up (acceleration) from a dead stop
2. Can start out in second gear from a dead stop if you so choose, like when the engine is cold
3. Smooth upshifting in S2 and S3
4. Nice tug when upshifting in S4 or S5
5. Rev matched downshifts aways smooth regardless of rpm or gear
6. Can shift to neutral at any time regardless of speed
7. Perfect feel of the paddle shifters and gearshift selector
8. Low speed assist works great in first or second gear
9. Automatic mode works even better than a real automatic
10. Engine braking is significant in all gears, can easily drive and maintain position in traffic without need for the brake. Downshifts are so smooth, that progressively downshifting down to 3rd gear when approaching a stop light or stop sign means the brakes don't need to be used until about 30 mph, depending on conditions.
11. Shifting is so easy to do that I can always be in the right gear for any situation
12. Seven gears = always a good gear for any situation (eight in you include reverse)
13. Launch control (and I haven't been able to use it yet)
14. 6MT drivers in my rear view mirror

Things I don't love about DCT:
1. Slight delay from actuation of the shift lever until the rpm drops on upshifts (easily compensated for by driver adjustment)
2. Uneducated people think it's an automatic transmission and therefore think you're not a serious driver if you're driving DCT (very, very small on the "give a shit" scale)
3. I have to put my foot on the brake to shift into first gear from neutral or reverse. (Liability issue I'm sure)
4. Because the gear selection indicator is below the time/temp in the dash, I lose the option to select a third data point as 6MTs can. (minor grip) Actually, the time is displayed on Idrive, so all I lose by selecting another data point is temperature.