Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
Do you ever have skipping issues with the drive? How about if you open and close the center console. That is the only concern I would have going this route rather than the flash drive route. The bigger drive means I don't have to down sample the music to make it fit and that's a huge plus to me but I would like to know if you've ever had skipping with the hard drive!
I've had some "skipping" but not the type you are thinking. Perhaps once a week the first song or two played will periodically pause for a few seconds, play for a few, pause, etc. After a few minutes it plays normally. It is definitely not the HDD "skipping" since it doesn't need to be moving, vibrating, etc for this to happen. I think what it is is iDrive trying to re-index all the music on the drive while also trying to read the current song data off the drive. ALL of my music is WMA Lossless so file sizes are very large and the HDD therefore has to spew lots of data during song play. The HDD is probably so slow that it can't do both indexing and playing at the same time. Once it is done with this gyration it plays flawlessly regardless of temperature or roughness of the road

'03 X5 4.4i Blue/Tan
'06 E90 330Xi 6MT Sparkling Graphite/Terra
'08 E92 M3 6MT Jerez/Speed Cloth <-- Evil Twin