View Single Post
      02-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #19
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
I would sell it and take a loss. A supercharged M3 is fun and I own one but I honestly believe there are ideal owners for cars like these.

1. The car owner that does his own work and not send it to a shop.

2. The car owner that has expendable cash flow to have a shop diagnosis, repair, and in your case a new motor purchase.

On your next car purchase buy something with warranty. Live and learn.
If you have a supercharged s65. Having an engine already on backup sounds like a good idea. Buy a nice engine stand, and at the least do the rod bearings. If you have experience with opening up engines (most people who own an s65 don’t) then you can replace your mains as well.

I have lots of engine experience with audi timing chains, regular bmw maintenance/major repairs, and restoration. And I would be probably a bit uncomfortable with replacing mains on an s65.

The intention for my 170k m3 is to keep it meticulously maintained, and stock. That way I “God willing,” won’t need to have to replace the engine ever.

If this was my vehicle. I would buy a used engine. And have the rod bearings done. And:
1. Have someone rebuild the other engine. (As a back up)

2. Have someone remove the mods, and install on used engine at some point

3. Keep the used engine stock, and sell all of the parts off the modded engine to re coupe the used engine/ install charges.
Appreciate 1