View Single Post
      04-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #22
footie
Major General

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
This might interest some of you, I got a phone call from my dealer to say they had just traded in an M3 if I was interested to have a drive in to compare to my S5 on my own roads at home. Needless to say I was round there in a flash.

The car unfortunately was equipped with a lot of Schnitzer gear, 19" alloys, similar CF trim to that on the official BMW performance dealer pack, full Schnitzer sports exhaust and I believe lowered suspension (even with EDC) as part of the tyres were hinden under the bodywork when stationary.

It was a real turn off and a major disappointment. The exhaust which on start up and revving will stationary sounded fruity turned out to be tiresome at 70mph with the worst boom, the 10 mins drive home was almost giving my a headache. The 19" is a matter of taste, to me they were bling of the highest order and came with Michelin Cup+ Semi Race tyres, I didn't realise how much firmer they made the ride, instead of riding the bumps it bounced from one to the other (this might have been the lowered suspension) but like I said I was not impressed with this car.

On a plus note, with the allowance to fiddle settings in M-Drive I was able to improve this early opinion to the car to something approaching decent, by moving the steering setting to normal, and adjusting the throttle from sport plus back to sport. The only negative still was the ride where none of the setting Comfort/Normal or Sport seemed to make that much of a difference.

Some may say this was a wasted test drive but actually it was far from it, it reaffirmed my opinion that the 18" alloys are best suited to my roads, the multiple settings for everything is a major plus and selling point to the car and the car BMW produce is much much better than any imitation.
footie is offline   No_Country