View Single Post
      04-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Q&A Part II with Larry Koch, BMA NA M brand manager

As most of you know Skierman posted his recollection of his Q&A with Larry Koch, which was fairly extensive.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133368

I asked him a few more questions tonight at another BMW CCA event. I am paraphrasing as accurately as I can as I did not tape his answers, and I am keeping my opinions out of it (I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anything he said so don't flame me).

Q: Will I lose my warranty if I track my M3?
LK: You will if you compete with it. If you get on the track during your local BMW CC event and drive around, you will be fine.

Q: Will BMW offer performance parts for the M3?
LK: This is under discussion. I brought it up in the presence of an M-division engineer, and he immediately asked what was it that I thought could be improved exactly.

Q: (from the general audience) What is the difference between the Sport and Normal EDC settings?
LK: In the normal setting, the computer constantly adjusts the suspension. [some other stuff that is common knowledge on this forum]....Under certain conditions, in the Normal setting, the suspension can be stiffer than it is in the Sport setting.

Q: Why is the E92 M3 chassis riding slightly higher than the E92 335 coupe chassis? Does this have anything to do with airflow?
LK: Is it? If it is, I don't know.

Q: Would lowering the M3 cause problems with EDC? What should one pay attention to?
LK: Lowering the car would alter the suspension geometry, and take away from performance. It would also cause uneven tire wear.

Q: (from the general audience) Will there be another M1 to compete with the R8?
LK: I can't answer future products questions, but we are always looking into that kind of thing.

Q: (from the general audience) Why doesn't BMW offer LSD in the non-M 3 and 1 series cars?
LK: I don't know. I am focused on M products.

Q: (from the general audience) Why is there no dipstick in the M3?
LK: Only 2-3% of the owners actually ever use the dipstick. They don't even think about engine oil unless the car gives an electronic warning anyway.