View Single Post
      03-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #50
ganeil
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
1. So, let's get the story straight. What really prompted the war: (1) Saddam's threat to the world through his "immediate" ability to develop and manufacture WMD; or (2) the need to liberate a nation from a "brutal dictatorship?" It seems that the government goes back and forth between these two versions -- depending on where the political wind is blowing from. This is what I call disingenuous.
Again, read the President's speech delivered in Cincinnati on 7 Oct 2002 and the Congressional Resolution Authorizing the Use of Force against Iraq as they each lay out the case for war. A case that included both reasons (with the exception that the threat from Iraq was never claimed to be imminent) as well as others.

Quote:
2. Why did "we" liberate Kuweit in 1992? And why don't we liberate Cuba? There is "brutal" dictatorship over there too. By the way, adjectives help a lot in political speeches ...
We liberated Kuwait because they were the victims of naked aggression and they asked for our help and it was in our national interest to do so.

I seem to recall we did attempt to liberate Cuba in 1961 but JFK changed his mind at the last minute and left those we promised to support to be slaughtered.

Quote:
3. Who outside Iraq is exactly better of without Saddam Hussein? He did not plot bombings in Bali, Madrid, London, and New York. Is Europe better of with all kinds on Islamic terrorists only strenghtening their influence over there? Is Africa, most of which is in grave poverty, better of? Is Latin America better of? Are people of Iraq, who are now dying on their way to the grocery store, better of? Who is???
Since we have no way of knowing what atrocities Saddam may have been planning, funding, or assisting when he was overthrown, there is no reasonable way to identify specific beneficiaries. The exception to this is the Israelis who no longer had to deal with Iraqi funding of suicide bombers.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i