View Single Post
      08-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #12
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Any car will get a little bit of carbon build-up, but it's not nearly to the degree that some direct injection designs are susceptible to. We have two things working in our favor beyond the obvious port-injection benefit:

1. Car requires premium fuel which will have more detergents to slow down and even remove any build up
2. Car uses high-quality synthetic oils which are less likely to form deposits

And I suppose a third benefit would be that these motors are often run pretty hard which helps to burn off any deposits. :-)

If you want to keep deposits to the lowest levels possible, consider running a PEA-rich fuel injector cleaner in the final full tank of gas BEFORE your next oil change. They're often BOGO at the auto parts stores or available on Amazon subscribe-and-save. Cleaners with documented high PEA levels:

1. Gumout Regane
2. Chevron Techron Concentrate (this is what the BMW-branded cleaner is)
3. Amsoil PI
4. Redline SI-1

Most other "injector cleaners" are crap and use almost no PEA, so stick with the four I just listed. The SAE has proven that PEA in concentrations over 25% does reduce deposits. If in doubt, check the MSDS and look for "polyetheramine" in a level of 25% or higher.
I guess carbon buildup in the engine internals could be unrelated to carbon buildup at the tail pipes ? I get quite a bit of the latter, i guess it's where all that oil consumption goes that bmw wants to insist is normal and isn't.
Appreciate 0