View Single Post
      02-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #24
AndrewAZ
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
w
I have a giant problem with that statement. Today's answer is: Because it doesn't have to. I know, it's hard to wrap your brain around the concept of a sovereign nation, that can govern itself without outside help - within it's borders, given the definition. UN is both capable, and within right to enforce international laws due to it's peacekeeping contingent. However, they as a reasonable international governing body, would also have to apply the same rules to other countries that break those laws. The law, or well, the agreement referred to, is the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty which limits states with nuclear arsenal to 5: Russia, China, United States, United Kingdom, and France. Notice how Israel, Pakistan, and India, three major world powers have openly tested nuclear weapons, currently possess them, yet UN hasn't enforced the treaty.

Queue the "Because UN is a neutered organization" cries.

Guess what, US hasn't attacked those countries openly. With Iraq, it actually defied a UN decision, and used military action against a sovereign state. I promise you, if Russia or China had done this, US officials would shit a brick over it, and condemn it as undemocratic.

I don't defend Saddam, he is a douche, and deserved to be hanged. I do defend the right of a country to not be invaded randomly, under whatever pretenses, without repercussions to the invader from the international community. This guns blazing attitude is what's undermining the UN, which then gets blamed for being incapable.
We should all know where this comes from.

"provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity"

Basically as a nation in the beginning we pledged to help give freedom and liberty to all. (even in our pledge). Our founding fathers believed firmly that everyone should be free and that we should help out and no one should be deprived of their freedom.

What does this have to do with Iraq. Well you stated no one has the right to invade right? Well actually according to several places in various US documents and pledges it is not only our right to invade but it is our duty to so we can promote liberty and justice for all.

After all I am sure you can find several Iraqi defectors that will tell you what is was like to live under Sadam.. How do you think the folks in North Korea are doing?? Not very well, they dont even have enough food or even the capacity to provide health care, yet 1 tyrant rules the country and has everything.

Should we let millions suffer around the world? Not only do we have people suffering under tyrants we also have some 20 million people still in slavery... But I guess the USA should stay out of everything and just prosper over here, because what happens on the other side of the world what we dont see or hear or read about doesnt matter.. It doenst matter that millions go to bed hungry each night in North Korea and live in fear about being taken out and killed the next day for saying something wrong.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

And above is a quote for the guy here that doesnt think our country was founded on god or that we have a belief in god.. Our entire country was founded on the belief that a god would protect us during our fight for are unalienable rights.