Originally Posted by lucid
1. Are you saying the iPod will not output a digital signal dricetly to the head unit in the car? Are you sure about this?
2. If you don't get the iPod option, is there a USB port that comes standard with the car that you can plug this into? Will it be recognized by the audio system in the car?
3. I thought the main advantage of getting the iPod option was the ability to browse through your collections with the car's interface. This clearly would not allow for that, right?
1. Yes, I'm sure about that. iPhones/iPods do an internal digital to analog conversion and subsequent audio/video degradation occurs once the sound hits your speakers.
2. The iPod Adapter itself is simply a USB port. So no, without the iPod Adapter you won't have a USB port to plug this device into. And yes, iDrive will recognize this flash drive just fine as I've tested it in the 08 M5 and it works with no lag time whatsoever.
3. Actually USB flash drives do allow for browsing your content library through the iDrive interface. iPods and USB flash drives merely store the ID3 tags linked to your songs, so it's up to the iDrive system to sort, organize, and display your library.
Hope this helps.