View Single Post
      01-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Goober M
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB-O View Post
The guide describes the finish as "satin chrome". I've seen pictures of test mules with a matte finish silver wheel and assume that is the color they are referring to.

BoB
Actually, I'm not so sure. If you google the term "satin chrome" and check out some of the images that come up, while they have nothing to do with 260m style wheels, they do have a brushed gunmetal look to them. I too have seen the pitcures w/ the matte finish silver rims, but I doubt they would call that "satin chrome" (probably would just be called "silver alloy"). Those were probably pre-production prototypes (similar to the blacked-out rims). I wouldn't be surprised if BMW NA included the "satin chrome" descriptor in the ordering guide so people would realize that they were getting a different finish than usual (sort of like when they changed "palladium silver" to "silver" on the leather; which of course isn't a different leather, just a different name for us stupid americans ). I find it hard to believe that BMW would offer the M3 with special rims for the US only, and rims that are identical other than a difference in finish at that.

Anyone else hear anything on this point? Myself, I quite like the 18s in the "gunmetal" finish -- they're pretty unique and have a "racing" look to them. If they are in a matte bright silver -- -- then they're just plain stupid. Then I'm getting the 19s, selling those, and slapping on a sweet set of M6 standard issue rims as soon as you can say .