View Single Post
      06-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

A little update on the GTI after almost 3 months and 5000 miles.

Great car all around.

It had a little antifreeze drip and a check engine light shortly after we got it. Took it to VW, they age us a loaner o questions asked. The H2o so pump is now warrantied to 120k/10 years so no issues there.
The turbo apparently had a waste gate noise that set off the knock sensor, so they replaced the entire turbo, ok with me. Ran great after that!

The OEM Perrelli all seasons howled like crazy despite lots of trad left, and would set off the abs on moderately hard braking. There was also a slight clunk in the front that sounded like a bad end link. DCT service was also due.

I replaced the shit oem tires with a set of Pilot Super Sports, the end links with a set lf lemforders ($40 for the pair, lifetime thru FCP) and did the DSG juice with Pentosin Synth and oem filters.

For me, maintaining a car is a pleasure, and I like to get the best bang for the buck by keeping them forever (see my 175k mile 330i).

The fresh PSS totally transformed the car with the quiet grip they are known for, the old tires were such garbage and the new ones so much better it felt like I put a fresh set of shocks on the car! The oem size PSS was .4" taller diameter, and 2 pounds less than OEM, so I expect a little more mpg on the high way. The endlinks got rid of the clunk and combined with the fresh tires tightened up the front end turn in. The car handles and drives just fantastic for oem suspension, wrong wheel drive car (sorry, I had to).

The biggest shock was how much the fresh DSG fluid/filters changed the way the tranny behaves. Quicker, smoother engagement, less overall harshness. I imagine the next change will occur 10k miles sooner than called for just to be on the safe side. Take off from a start is more predictable, shifts smoother, and downshifts quicker.

The car gets driven mostly highway at 70mph during the work week, mixed in with a little stop and go driving, and averages between 27-28 mpg. However, the second you have a little fun with it, you can watch the gas gauge drop! When you really get into the the boost the factory tune must be a bit rich, because the car can be a oral pig on bass when driven lively. That said, it will likely see an arp tune for both the motor and gearbox.

All around, satisfying driving car and a very, very good purchase for our needs.