01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Join Date: Aug 2006
- The M double-clutch transmission with Drivelogic is
indeed the first power transmission of its kind the world over conceived
and designed for engine speeds of up to 9,000 rpm.
- Like in motorsport: dynamic torque peaks when shifting up,
in-between gas when shifting down.
- The M double-clutch transmission is the first transmission
of its kind able to handle engine speeds of up to 9,000 rpm. And at
the same time it is perfectly prepared for high engine torque and extra power
- When it comes to driving dynamics, the seven-speed double-clutch
transmission offers an advantage over seven-speed SMG already boasting an
extremely fast gearshift by way of the change in gears now taking place
without the slightest interruption of power and torque. In practice, this means
even faster and more dynamic acceleration clearly measurable in seconds
- Compared with a conventional automatic transmission, the M double-clutch
transmission allows greater fuel economy and cleaner emissions on exactly
the same engine with the same power. This is primarily attributable to the even
more direct connection between the engine and the M double-clutch transmission
as well as the general layout with seven gears. Quite simply, the
advantage is that the larger number of gears allows even finer increments
between the individual gear ratios.
- The other end of the gearshift range is Drivelogic stage D1 enabling the driver
to set off in second gear. In this case the clutch is particularly smooth and
soft, helping the driver to set off without problems on, say, slippery surfaces
- In the automated mode the driver is able to influence the gearshift for example
by taking back the gas pedal slowly and determining himself when the
transmission shifts up. Conversely, by kicking down the gas pedal he is able
to quickly shift back to the best gear for optimum acceleration.
- Manual mode with Launch Control for setting off like a racing car.