View Single Post
      01-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #29
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
None -- Hence my comment above stating maybe I wish for the perfect world -- where the candidate would be valued on what he/she proposes for this country, not weather he/she believes in God. Believeing has no positive consequences on the leadership and we have seen negative (not that it means they would repeat with the believer in the office).

As e90im mentioned many times -- brushing the proofs off just because you don't know the answer and resorting to something out of this world could be dangerous in real-life situations...

I also value Democrats for that -- for not involving that matter too much into the whole debate. Republicans just have to beat it in EVERY debate... Simply not necessary...
You can be certain it isn't Governor Huckabee or Governor Romney that brought the questions on religion into the debates. That came from the media that put together the show and wrote the questions. They seemed to hope to embarrass the candidates and make sensational headlines. They were just doing what the media does.

But the media also was responding to the public's desire to know. I think that this is good to know about the candidates' faith. They all claim to have faith or religion. Still, the stage of entertainment in the debates is no better a means to get this information than it is a good means for finding out where they are on the national issues.

Probably the most useful thing in the debates is the personality contest. American's are stuck on Hollywood and smooth talkers. Look at all the criticism public figures face who don't come accross well on camera. Those criticisms are vapid, but unfortunately there is a real effect on a gullible public. Hopefully we will select a candidate who can stand the test of the television cameras and the sound bite. Then they will have a better chance to be able to inspire some people.

The debates do perhaps provide some idea of what to look for in seeking out more detail on where the candidates stand on the issues.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States