View Single Post
      12-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #167
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
If you and I were in a room working on something for awhile, it wouldn't be long before the cops showed up, finding one of us on the floor and the other standing over the body holding the bloody hammer.
That's some vivid imagery you put out there Bruce; I am glad I got busy and stepped aside from this slugging match early on.

Seriously though, I don't think such debates would get this heated/personal in real life. There is a lot of room for misunderstanding and not listening on the internet, which is easier to mediate in person.

I think both you and Swamp bring solid insights to the forum. You seem to have tons of hands-on experience and provide useful empirical information. Swamp seems to have more of a theoretical perspective. The drawback of the empirical approach is that it doesn't exactly allow one to isolate cause-effect relationships. Models require exactly that by definition, but in the absence of an empirical component, they don't mean jack as the game can turn into garbage in garbage out real quickly. Ultimately, dialog between the empirical and theoretical dimensions results in outcomes which are both descriptive and predictive. (I'm not saying you don't understand the theory behind what you observe, or that Swamp doesn't have a grasp on reality or anything).

So, you guys should get together and have beers--but make sure there aren't any hammers around.

Last edited by lucid; 12-21-2007 at 11:56 AM.
lucid is offline   United_States