View Single Post
      12-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
What is a denomination? Is that something like, I think I'm talking to Lord more than you? I got him on speed dial? Is one denomination better than the other?

I'm usually sarcastic about religion, but not this time. I need to be educated.
A denomination is like Baptist, Assembly of God, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist, Quaker, and etc. These are all Christian denominations (at least those named here, and several others not named here). A denomination has many churches in affiliation each with at least one pastor or minister ordained by the denomination. Non-denominal churches may be Christian, but are independent. There isn't any oversight outside of the non-denominational church. Some Christians may be found in non-Christian churches and without a church, but we are instructed by scripture to not forsake meeting with the brethren (other Christians).

There is a significant amount of difference between denominations in the details, but all teach Jesus Christ crucified and the remission of sins. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (who is the only begotten Son of God) and not by our works. Good works are our spiritual act of worship and will be counted to us as righteousness. Our riches are in heaven.

Jesus paid the price for our sins when he died sinless on the cross at the hands of the Romans as demanded by the Jews.

After God created Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, they sinned by disobeying God after being deceived by the serpent. The price for Adam's sin was death. Since then, all have sinned except Jesus our Saviour who conquered death and hell when he rose again to leave an empty tomb.

We are baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost as a public testimony that we will follow Jesus.

The Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one God. They have existed for all time, and will exist for all the rest of time. God is omniscient and omnipotent. He is all powerful. He created the heavens and the Earth. Nothing was created without him. There is one God. His name is Jehovah (Yahweh). There always has been, and forever will be only one God. All other gods are inventions of man and impostors.

Our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life. When the book is opened in the judgement, all whose names are not written in the book of life in the judgement will be cast into the lake of fire for the rest of eternity. The saved will be purified and live in the presence of God forever in paradise.

The Holy Bible is God's revelation to man. All scripture in the Holy Bible is God breathed and is useful for instruction in the faith. The Old Testament describes the old covenant history and is a prophecy of our Saviour. The New Testament describes the new covenant and our living saviour.

I am sure there are much better and more thorough summary descriptions of what all Christian religions accept as essential to Christian faith. All of it is contained in the Holy Bible. There are no other writings that we accept as Holy Writ.

So a Christian denomination accepts all these truths. We all accept each other as adopted children of God, imperfect as we are. We welcome all as Jesus has extended his grace to all who accept it.

Some of the details in my description may not be precisely correct, but essentially accurate. I hope that helps.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto

Last edited by scottwww; 12-16-2007 at 12:18 AM. Reason: clarification
scottwww is offline   United_States