View Single Post
      12-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #32
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rips335iCoupe View Post
There are dozens of possible definitions of "Christian," (that is, ways in which people use the word) even in addition to those in the dictionary, and they range all the way from very broad ("a Christian is anyone who tries to live his life by the teachings of Jesus") to very, very narrow ("a Christian is someone whose views and beliefs about Jesus Christ are exactly like mine").

I think most Christians today who are quick to label Mormons as not Christian generally overlook the fact that the earliest followers of Jesus would probably not qualify under their definition of "Christian," either.

If you assert that Mormons are not Christian, that also implies that you have the only valid definition, and that you (and your co-believers) are the only ones who have a right to define the word. That is not the way language works.

I can also label all non-Catholics Christian believers as pagans, but that would have gone too far and a bit too narrow-minded like someone on this thread...*cough cough*