12-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #91
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
I have to completely disagree with that statement that you don't have to drive a car to know how it "feels". When people are talking about how a car "feels" when driving it, they're not neccessarily talking about it in technical terms or literally, it's deeper than that. It's about the emotion that is involved while driving a car. The emotion part that you're going through is what makes a car feel special. That's something you can't analyze just by doing the math or science. It's like saying you don't have to taste the food to know how it taste. Or even worse, it's like saying you don't need to have sex to know how it feels to have sex. Okay, maybe that's going too far, LOL. You get my point. I do appreciate the fact that you are very passionate about the engineering and science part about cars. I think most people don't have that intricate knowledge about cars unlike you and some of the other members here does. And it's quite entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
If you can speculate on something that has never been on the road before and you've never driven at all and make bold praises about it, why can't anybody else do it. You said it yourself that you don't have to drive it to know how it "feels". I'll agree that calling it the most advance car ever is a bit of a stretch. But it is and will be one of the most advance car available on the market soon.
I have spoken in the past about predicting the performance and feeling the performance of a car through math and science for FEATURES, not for the whole car. I stand by this argument that there are certain aspects of a car that you can "feel" or know, not in full but in quite some detail, through the use of science, math and maybe some past experience (say DCT vs. SMG - not a huge stretch). Furthermore you absoutely do need to drive any car to fully know it and feel it, no arguments then nor now about this. I never said anything different. However, predicting how some particular featrure may feel is vastly different that speculating about some grand claim such as footie did (and has since stepped away from). That is simply apples to orangnes and is comparing pure speculation to a theory informed by science and past experience.