03-31-2015, 08:20 AM   #98
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Whats worth noting is that once you have passed 50-60K miles the trend is for less failures...ie if you were unlucky enough to be in the 1 to 1.5% of owners to have a car with some sort of bearing clearance problem it will tend to fail at relatively low miles.

The other factor is how you use the car.
Anything that puts a high load on the engine will tend to put a high load on the bearings. Such as supercharging, aggressive ECU tune, tracking etc.
If you are mechanically sympathetic with you car, warm it up carefully, no high revs with cold or very hot oil etc then there is every reason to be optimistic.
Thanks, Funky. What does the X-axis represent? As I'm approaching 75k, it's encouraging to think that I may be in the clear, but I guess more data is required to say anything with certainty. But I do like my odds, at least. Hopefully that 1-2% failure rate proves to be true long term.

But I definitely don't baby it... I'm sure to let her warm up, but then I use the car the way it was meant to be. Not sure how aggressive my tune is, but I do track her once in a while, and definitely wind the engine out every chance I get!
Appreciate 0