View Single Post
      01-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
so are you buying forward or looking back. i know for me the past is more interesting than the future for me at bmw. not so at some other brands.
Agreed.
And if you've been a fan of //M since the beginning and read MULTIPLE articles and interviews by the guys who started //M, you have a certain mindset as to what makes an //M car. There was an AWESOME article in Roundel a few years ago by the previous head of //M who CLEARLY spelled out what an //M car was at the time and why there was no X5M or M7. They had a very clear vision of what an //M car was. I really wish I had saved that issue, because it would give a LOT in insight as to why many of us are so resistant to the new direction //M is going. What we have now is so far from what the mission statement was for //M when it started, it's just sad.

It's pretty clear the main motivation behind the niew direction is $$$, with the excuse that //M cars need to get better mileage. But then you look over at Porsche and the new Cayman and 911 are getting crazy good mileage and are fast as hell. Obviously they're essentially 2 seaters, but they made more power and get better mileage... so what's BMW's excuse?
It's also discouraging to see MB bring the Black Series here, Porsche the GT3-RS and even the 4.0 here and BMW pisses on it's largest //M market when ever it comes out with a higher performance version of the M3- claiming it'll be too expensive to bring here... but Porsche can do it REPEATEDLY with their very limited run cars with special engines that make more than the standard engines, so they must of had to get them certified too. How many GT3-RS 4.0 did Porsche bring to the US?? NOT THAT MANY!!

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 01-25-2014 at 02:08 AM.