View Single Post
      01-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #33
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
As long as you use good and fresh fluid, something like PFC01 race pads *and* use Ti shims between the pad backing plate and piston, you should be good to go for even very high level driving with R-comps. The Ti shim works wonders in interrupting the heat transfer path from the backing plate to the piston. It also shields the piston dust cover from "seeing" the hot backing plate from a radiation heat transfer point of view. I've used them for years with great success including on my Stoptech BBK.

The Ti shims become especially important as pad thickness is worn down. The pad material is a fantastic insulator, so as it wears down the backing plate temperature goes up (and up and up with more wear) and the heat transfer to the piston of course goes up. From 1/2 worn and on down, Ti shims become indispensable for saving piston dust covers and reducing heat transfer into the piston and therefore fluid.
Do you only use the Ti backing plate when the pads have worn down to 50%?

For the OP, another consideration would be to add some ducts to the wheel well.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."