12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
1sexyfd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Right, but why is the analog speedo intentionally skewing the speed? Obviously it cannot be 100% accurate all the time, but if it is KNOWN to be wrong, why not correct it? Is it at least consistently inaccurate across the entire range?
I'm pretty sure that you can code both to show a closer representation to actual speed.

As far as why they are high, I can only speculate for the US. I know European cars have a specific law that states they can never show a speed on the display that is lower than the actual speed. I think it is ECE-R39. (not entirely sure tho) I don't think the US or Canada have any specific laws in terms of what speed they show. Also, the speedo is calibrated for a certain overall wheel/tire size combo. So any variations in size (under/over inflation) or a completely different wheel size can mess with that reading a little.

I would think that automakers, lawmakers and insurance companies would much rather have a person going 60 thinking they are going 75. (Greatly exaggerated, of course.) Less tickets, and less risk of injury and damage to personal property. I guess on the flipside tho one could argue how much does 5 MPH (more realistic difference) actually change in all of that? Except a speeding ticket. Anything in the opposite direction has no benefit. So I think....
Appreciate 0