View Single Post
      10-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #28
W///
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Hmm, from what I understand based on reading and my own and others' track experiences, typically you increase grip by REDUCING tire pressure. Obviously that's only true to a point, but that increases your contact patch. Pros for example will typically drop front tire pressure and/or increase rear tire pressure if they want more oversteer because that creates a more front-biased grip setup. However, some have found that increasing tire pressure can make the car FEEL better at turn-in, which I suspect is because there's less rubber in contact with the road that needs to be turned (and at high cornering load there's less chance the tire will roll over onto its sidewall), but your absolute grip wouldn't be as high.

Check out this thread, especially the third post: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...php?f=4&t=6037
You are absolutely correct actually. More pressure means stiffer sidewalls, and on my old E46 with Hankook V12's, it was a must.

Having said that, I never deviate that far from mfg specs though, never by 5+ psi. Just my personal preference. Right now on these HRE's, I'm running -1 or 2 actually.