This thread contains the information about future production plans compiled by me from various leaks within BMW organization.
This top post is now continuously updated: everything that becomes official is deleted, new research is added.
Can you tell me when these models are coming out?
- Not anymore.
Can you tell me which of these models will come to market, and which ones we'll never see?
What options will be available on these cars?
- I list everything that could be found on at least one model; for specific models, I provide the most interesting options known to be available on them.
Can you tell me where you found this info?
Upcoming new models:
- These are just US market models, EU is simply too varied to type in all combinations.
- Model years marked with (?) are only best guesses.
2017 G30 5er:
- 530i sDrive B46B20O0
- 530i xDrive B46B20O0
- 540i sDrive B58B30M0
- 540i xDrive B58B30M0
2018 (?) G30 5er
- 530e sDrive
- 530e xDrive
- 540d xDrive B57 (possibly xDrive only)
- M550i sDrive
- M550i xDrive
2018 G32 6GT
- 640i xDrive
- G32 6GT will get the same engines as the other G3x models, including the hybrid.
2018 F22/F23/F87 2er/M2 LCI
2018 (?) F32/F33/F36/F82/F83 4er/M4 LCI
2018 (?) F39 X2
- xDrive M35i
2018 G01 X3
- xDrive M40i
2019 G20 3er (choice of RWD or AWD for all models)
2019 G02 X4
- xDrive M40i
2019 G05 X5
2019 (?) G07 X7
EOP for current models:
F10 5er - 10/16
F07 5GT - 06/17
F12 6er - 10/18
F13 6er - 10/18
F06 6GC - 02/19
F25 X3 - 07/17
F26 X4 - 07/18
F15 X5 - 07/18
F16 X6 - 07/19
F30 3er - 10/18
F80 M3 - 10/18
F31 3er - 06/19
F34 3GT - 03/20
F32 4er - 06/20
F82 M4 - 06/20
F33 4er - 10/20
F83 M4 - 10/20
F36 4GC - 02/21
F22 2er - 10/20
F23 2er - 10/21
F48 X1 - 06/22
Consolidated list of 2015 updates:
February 2016 update:
- G08 X3 LWB is planned for China.
- The new generation of the Phantom, just like the Cullinan, will be built on the new 7-series platform.
- There are some hints that B48 may get a version with 400cc per cylinder displacement. This makes as little sense to me as to y'all, considering all the noise about 500cc being the perfect size and the single parts bin for all B engines, but still there it is.
- BMW is working on more driver assist features. In the future, the vehicle will inform the driver about the possibility of overtaking, the right of way, and pedestrians behind the vehicle.
- F90 M5 (spy pics) is confirmed with the same engine as the current M5 (tweaks are possible of course) and xDrive only.
- (So far unconfirmed, but the signals are strong) All UKL platform cars (both BMW and Mini) are going to get the dual clutch transmission some time in 2017.
- 530e will have more power than 330e, by 30hp or so. It'll be a late intro model, you shouldn't expect it before 2017 calendar year. There'll be both RWD and xDrive versions.
June 2016 update:
- F97 X3M (G01 based) and F98 X4M (G02 based) are coming.
- i3, in addition to the bigger battery, will get another (sportier?) version called i3s
- F82 M4 CS (Clubsport) is apparently a thing.
- I15 i8 Roadster is real.
I've cleaned up everything that's become official per MY2017 ordering guides. To replace it, here's some long overdue news looking out a couple of years ahead. The future model list at the top of the post is now more or less current.
- 2019 3 series (G20) will have mostly the same model designations we have today on F30, with just some relatively small changes: 320i (if it comes to the U.S.) will get the B46 engine, 328d will get B47 and become 330d (which RTW model it will correspond to is unknown atm, or maybe it won't come at all), and, like most of us have been expecting, 340i will now be called M340i (a small power output bump is virtually guaranteed). RTW G20 will cover the range from 318i to M340i and from 316d to M340d.
- Just like Scott promised, no more wagons for this side of the pond. You want a Touring - grab an F31 while you still can. I have.
- G30 M550i will exist in RWD form after all.
- i3 will continue evolving - there'll be another iteration of it, and that's when we could get the i3s version, whatever it's gonna be.
- In addition to the gas and diesel versions of the G01 X3 I mentioned before, there'll be a hybrid, 30e.
- The full range of F39 X2 will include not just x28i, but also s28i and (B48 is maturing!) AWD M35i.
- G02 X4 will be available as x30i and x40i, and a RTW-only diesel, nothing fancy here.
- G14 convertible and G15 coupe 8 series. Yes, they will come. Moving on.
- G05 X5 is indeed coming in 2018, shortening the F15's lifecycle to just five years. The product range will remain pretty much the same, with 35i and 35d becoming 40i and 40d, which should surprise exactly no one.
- G07 X7 will be introduced at approximately the same time (it's unlikely BMW will do both X5 and X7 simultaneously, but the spacing won't be more than a few months apart). U.S. gets x40i, x40d, and x50i, while RTW will also have x30i and x30d.
* The trend to assign "M Performance" to the top not-the-real-M model continues with G01 X3 M40i.
* G32 is now a 6.
* US may not get the diesel G20 after all, and 320i is questionable too.
* Try spotting the other piece of news in the change to a previous update.