08-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Exclamation Newbie track pad install - is this sound normal?

EDIT:: UPDATE:: after 2 days on track and a little more street driving I have no more cricket noise. Conclusion is that brand new pads were touching on some higher spots on rotors not worn down by stock pads - after some wear all is now well. Still squeals like a garbage truck though

Quick info:
2009 E90 M3
Stock brakes (goodridge braided lines, motul 600 fluid)

I just did my very first track pad install with the help of some experienced friends. The pads are Pagid RS19 (yellows) in the front and the black RS pads in the rear (this is the combo sold by Turner).

Directly after the install I did a test drive and everything seemed fine. With more driving, however, they're really loud as if they're not coming fully off the rotor when I let off the brakes.

The only trouble we had with the install was pushing in the pistons for the front brakes because we didn't have the exact right tool (we had the tool for the e46, which worked fine for the rear calipers), but we eventually got them in far enough to install the brakes. I hope the piston position isn't the problem. My stock pads have tons of meat on them and we did open the fluid reservoir during the install. I had to wick out some fluid to get it down far enough to put the cap back on. Today I re-checked it and wicked some more out so that it's exactly at the MAX arrow on the reservoir.

I tried the procedure recommended by Pagid this morning for install/bedding (more or less) - http://www.braketechnology.com/brakepadbedding.html - with the ONE exception of the tip at the bottom, which I didn't know about until after the install was done, i.e. "MOUNTING NEW PADS ON USED DISCS
Edges of pad surface should be filed roughly to 45 degrees to ensure that the pad carries fully and evenly and is not touching the edge of the disc.
"

Here's a video of the sound, which is almost like crickets. Does seem to respond to turning the wheel one way or the other. Sounds pretty bad:

Also, I'm getting what seems like a ton of dust already - I think they've been on the car MAYBE 50 miles.

Should I be worried about any of this? Do I need to clean that dust off my wheels ASAP to avoid ruining them?

Here are the best pics I could get at dusk of the pads and the dust. The rear really looks like it's touching the rotor.
Attached Images

Last edited by bkrM3; 09-05-2013 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0