View Single Post
      07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
v1k1ng01
Likes Cake!

Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
It's not a pointless comment. X-drive is horrible. Putting that under a M3 would sap half of what makes the M3 enjoyable out of the car. Not only that, but the entire concept of the M3 revolves around it being RWD. (1)

I don't understand why anyone buys x-drive cars but I know they sell a lot. M3 is quite manageable on plowed roads with snow tires. If you're going through actual accumulated snow, why would you want to be in a performance car? (2)

So why would you ruin a car, raise the ride height, destroy the handling balance, add weight, to provide zero actual on road benefit? During any condition you would actually BE in a M3 if you're sane, snow tires are sufficient. (3)
(1) Not true... X-Drive is one of the best AWD drivetrains on the market. It's also a brilliant drivetrain that adds to overall performance to the vehicle. I don't doubt that you may lose much of the sideways drifting fun that an M3 presents, but that's only valuable on the track. Normal people don't track their everyday cars. That said, the function of the drivetrain would help it put that power down better, and in the corners dare I say, might make it faster... but I don't want to start that debate, in this thread so no hijacking.

(2) You've obviously never lived in Germany... Snow tires on the M3 might be fine for DC driving but pretty much any RWD car is horrible on snowed German roads... any AWD system with all seasons are better... Also with Autobahn's where you don't have a speed limit why on earth wouldn't you want to own a performance car? With the road conditions off the autobahn owning a performance AWD vehicle in Germany is very enticing.

(3) The higher ride height on x-drive models does make a difference in poor road conditions like snow, rock's, dip's and ice. If these kinds of things are important then this does make a difference, which would seem to go with how x-drive is marketed. That said, I'm betting if you slammed the car on a super low and tight suspension you wouldn't see the characteristics you are describing. I also call total BS on your last sentence... it's a subjective opinion and not everybody lives in DC. I'll also point out that the 335i x-drive does have a faster 0-60 and quarter mile times published then the RWD version.

Last edited by v1k1ng01; 07-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.
v1k1ng01 is offline   United_States