07-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #273
i dunno
Lieutenant

Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I disagree that (what I believe you are saying) the precepts of faith exist outside the physical universe. Given that I take certain contructs of religion as allegories to truth rather than literal, all the concepts of faith that I suscribe to exists within the provable world.

So I am talking about the truth of religion(s) rather than falsiable strawmen like can a man walk on water (unassisted) or can you turn water into wine etc.
I'm not quite following what you're saying. Give an example of the "concepts of faith" that you mention.

I'm not talking about the precepts of faith. Precepts definitely exist in the physical world since they're human constructs derived from faith. I'm talking about the fundamental basis of faith - that there's an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent deity/deities who created the universe. Faith is rooted in a belief that there's more than just the physical world. Since science is bound to the limits of our spatial dimension, it's impossible for us to gather evidence that proves or discredits the existence of something outside our universe. Does that make it clearer?