View Single Post
      07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #270
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
Science and faith don't belong on the same spectrum. They're not mutually exclusive. It's not like a seesaw where you lean one way or the other. Science is figuring out and unraveling the structure of the physical world. Religious faith is believing in something existing outside our physical universe that gives reason and meaning to that structure. Since religion is a belief in something beyond our physical world, it's something that falls out of the scope of the physical sciences. The existence of an omnipotent deity is not something science seeks to answer. It's perfectly reasonable to approach life scientifically and still believe in a divine being.
I disagree that (what I believe you are saying) the precepts of faith exist outside the physical universe. Given that I take certain contructs of religion as allegories to truth rather than literal, all the concepts of faith that I suscribe to exists within the provable world.

So I am talking about the truth of religion(s) rather than falsiable strawmen like can a man walk on water (unassisted) or can you turn water into wine etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
False. Science and faith do not "occupy opposite ends of the spectrum". This is just another mantra uneducated people chant in a futile hope to quench occasional inferiority complex attacks.

The acceptance of science is not a matter of preference, it is matter of competence. People don't "prefer" one or another, people progress from dogmatic beliefs to scientific understandings in the course of their lives. They eventually stop at certain level of competence, defined by their mental capacity and the strength of their determination to push froward. That progress is an inherent part of human nature.

Yet, despite being an inherent part of human nature, it still requires the determination to make the considerable effort required for that progress. And indeed, lazy people "prefer" not to make any effort at all. On top of that they might be deliberately "encouraged" not to make any effort at all by the ruling regime that these people were brought up under. They might even be prohibited from making any effort in that direction by the very same regime. USA is the first example that comes to mind of the regime under which the situation is especially grave.
I didn't start in faith or outside of it, a reasonable exposure of both but quite agnostic upbringing.
You could flit between the two, when either has particular appeal or you find truth in it.
Can't comment on the encouragement of faith to stupidfy people..