06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The problem is that e85 increases the wear and tear on the hardware, it is more corrosive and our lines are not designed for that. So you might see a short-term benefit, but I would question the long-term reliability of the fuel pump, lines and other crucial components.

"Wear and tear" says the guy that was running a VT-625 Do you think the S65 was designed for a s/c? Doesn't the s/c increase wear/tear on hardware, as well?

I'd say the biggest problem is that the alcohol content of E85 can vary, so you need a dependable source that is proven to not have much variance. I agree that if you're running *full* E85, you should change the pump, o-rings and injectors, but at that point, you really need a tune to take advantage of it. However, putting in a gallon or 2 when you fill up? You would be hard-pressed to convince me that the wear would increase that much more, to the point where I would be concerned about doing it.

It all comes down to what you're comfortable doing to your car. Personally, I'd run toulene before I mixed in E85, but that's just me. It's a lot more chemically stable than E85.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 06-24-2013 at 12:21 PM.