06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
SumoJax
Private
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
PS2 are known for not dealing with heat well, and are prone to chunking. We've seen it many times among the folks that track here. I'm surprised the tech recommended going to a higher PSI. With PS2 on my M3, I tried to start 32/33 cold and get up to around 38 hot. That's when they seemed to work best, but you do need to manage the tires a fair bit due to the chunking.

On a similar note, I ran both staggered and square setups. I've found that it really depends on the track. When I want good rotation, i'd go square, and when I wanted high speed stability, i'd go staggered.

Think the tech saw that I was rolling tire and driving on top of sidewalls. I was running about 35 cold in the morning. The chunk got bigger so I felt it was better to be safe. Think I'm leaning towards a square setup, like the idea of being able to rotate around depending on wear. Also a spare or two might work out as well?

Few photos below of tire wear and "chunk".
Attached Images