View Single Post
      06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
I think its much simpler to have the car automatically go into park rather than have to move a shifter or press a button. One less thing to worry about. Some people just shouldn't drive cars or need to learn to read the manual.
People have been putting cars into Park by moving a lever for decades without any problems. Why does BMW need to reinvent the wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
What possible reason could you have for putting the transmission in "park"? Do we hear complaints about not being able to put a manual transmission in park? It's an automated manual transmission, not an automatic. Think of it in terms of a manual. If you want the car not to roll while you're stopped and the engine is running, apply the parking brake, just like a manual. That's what it's for. Writer of the article is an idiot.
It's an automatic. It shifts gears by itself, therefore it's an automatic gearbox. Whether it does that via synchros and cogs or planetary gears and torque converters is irrelevant. And there are plenty of times when I wish my manual had a Park function. A very good example would be at the track at the end of a session. Can't use parking brakes because the rotor is too hot and the shoes will melt and stick to it. And you can't shut off the engine because the car is still a bit hot and you want to keep the fluids circulating. So unless you use wheel chocks, you are stuck sitting in the car to make sure it doesn't roll off while it cools down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This is not an automatic transmission, this is a dual clutch transmission. And you cannot open the door and put the car in reverse with the M-DCT. That's the way BMW decided to implement it.

If that's stupid for you, ok. But then again you can always if all that confuses you. That's the purpose of it.
It's an automatic transmission. Any transmission that shifts by itself is automatic. And no, I have the manual gearbox, so I don't care either way or am confused by it. but plenty of cars with double clutch gearboxes have conventional shifters. The Lancer Evolution X, Nissan GTR, VW with the DSG, Porsche with the PDK, etc. BMW just wants to be unique by reinventing the wheel and coming up with a mediocre designed shifter.
Appreciate 0