View Single Post
      04-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #53
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

I don't consider eliminating the dept of energy, commerce, and education to be in the mainstream or centrist thinking I am suggesting, nor realistic whatsoever. We need to spend more on education, imo.

I mean comeon, the dept of energy handles our nuclear weapons program and energy conservation. Energy conservation is *utterly critical* to our future. Regardless of your feelings on oil vs renewable, etc - I think everyone can agree we should not be wasting energy. And conservation is largely about that waste.

And yes, I say this while driving a 15mpg car ;-) And I live in a place where I don't need heat nor air conditioning in my condo, so I don't have much room to talk.

But I applaud you for indeed suggesting an alternative that yes, does have a meaningful effect on the budget. I will not disagree with that.[/quote]
-----------------

Apparently only $4.8B of the $27.2B spent by the Dept of Energy goes to science - the areas you mentioned. And education is managed locally and at the state level - why do we even need a Dept of Education? Google "eliminate the Department of (fill in the blank), and you decide. IMO, the Departments can either be eliminated or extremely downsized.