View Single Post
      04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #36
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Monoblock calipers are used in F1 and top pro race series. AP uses a monoblock caliper on the M3 in the ALMS - if 2-piece calipers are better why are they using a monoblock caliper in the ALMS?
AP has plenty of 2-piece racing calipers. I don't think the answer is so simple.
Brake Calipers
I think cost is one issue. In another thread, Chris B. (from AP Racing) described some of the differences between their racing calipers and their street calipers, when explaining why forging is not worthwhile, on street products. He explained that their racing monoblocks are machined, and this sort of production would be cost-prohibitive on their street products.

But that was all about forging and how it doesn't usually increase stiffness. He never directly explained the rationale behind 2-piece vs. one-piece. He did say that if AP thought forging (i.e. the forging techniques like those used by StopTech on their Trophy series) were worth offering in their street products, that they would do it. So, I take the same logic to apply to the 2-piece vs. 1-piece decision.

Sadly, he hasn't been active on here since Nov. 26 2012. Perhaps he's no longer with AP Racing.

Last edited by Drifty//; 04-07-2013 at 10:47 PM.