View Single Post
      04-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
admranger
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
+1, if you're doing a cooldown lap the temps are pretty much useless. If I want good temp data I come in during a hot lap and make sure the crew knows I'm coming, and have them start with the most critical (outside) tires first
As usual, I'm in agreement with Richbot. Tire temps after a cooldown lap are pretty useless, especially if you use an infrared pyrometer. Probe type are best (I had the Longacre one that recorded the four tires w/o having to write anything down...team owner/wife liked it).

BTW: NASA's online magazine has a great article on tire temps and a downloadable spreadsheet that does some nice calcs to help you determine what to do to get the temps where they need to be. www.nasaproracing.com You might have to be a member to get it, but from what I've seen so far it is worth the cost of membership. Very nicely done.

I'll concur that the PS2's suck ass on the track. They spit me off track for my first time ever as a student/instructor. They got hot and then they were gonzo w/o the hint of a squeak, squeal, or squawk. Just went from traction to no traction. Nice. Good thing they were almost gone b/c they went off the car as soon as some new RE11's showed up at Costco. You can't beat the RE11 for a dual duty tire, except they cost a bit...

Be smooth. Be fast. Be safe.