04-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Endless619
DHS
Spain

Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed Motorsports View Post
A low bake temp powder is required for a forged wheel. I have had numerous wheels powder coated with good results, you just need to know what your talking about when you inform the coater about the specifics of your wheels.

Cooking a forged wheel alters its state just like any metal. Keeping that temp lower will reduce the negative effect of basically oven curing your wheels.

With cast wheels I haven't worried about it and haven't had any issues. With a forged wheel however I am more cautious.
This.

Powder coating also lasts longer than factory Volk paint. This is fact and not debatable. I have gone through over 50 sets of wheels since the 1990s and you go with a Magnesium Blue TE37 and I will go with a Navy Blue powder coat and the OE Magnesium Blue will fade, scratch, and crack faster than a powder coat set. This is in humid, dry heat, freezing cold, etc weather. Seen it with my own eyes. Rocks chip the OE Volk paint faster as well.

So in reality both powder coating or OE paint are fine. One just lasts longer than the other and if you keep your temps in the correct range with powder coating you should have no issues.