2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Mike

I am a bit confused maybe you can help. When you worked for Powerchips and you sold software on this forum for them you used to market the Powerchips software as being "custom" built by you for each car you tuned. I recall you and others saying that every M3 motor is made different from the factory and therefore each tuning file needed to be custom built. You and your customers said if the car was not custom tuned it would never be ideal. You also claimed back then that custom mapping would get 30+ HP out of a stock motor and there is no way a canned tune could achieve that level of performance. I recall this because I thought it was very odd at the time that someone would advertise custom mapping on an adaptive control system. There were others at the time like ESS that said custom mapping could not be done on the M3 because it was a target based adaptive system, as soon as the car would run after being custom tuned it would simply self adapt to the values it wants to run within it's programmed targets based on conditions, fuel etc...

Now reading what you are saying it seems you have gone away from the custom mapping marketing you used to do and have now adopted the reality that ESS and other have told people over the years that these control systems are target based and do adjust on their own to run optimum within the targets set by the tuner. What you have just posted clearly explains why custom value tuning is not possible on this car. I think you have now also adopted a more conservative approach to power claims with the software you sell now VS what you used to sell people. It seems some tuners have finally started to stop BSing people claiming there is crazy power to be unlocked with NA tuning in these cars and that custom tuning is needed.

Can you explain your change of belief from past to now? Do you still believe that each car has to run it's own custom built file because of the way the motor is built? your post says no but What you have posted in this thread goes very much against what you used to tell / sell to people in the past and i would like to hear your explination.
Hi Buck,

I did not perform any tuning for Powerchip, so you would have to defer to them regarding their specifics on tuning.

Custom tuning on the dyno is possible on this car, even though it is target based. I think some of the statements made are off point.

Thank you

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 04-01-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Hi Kenny instead of hi buck
Appreciate 0