03-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #57
Ti-Jean
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Also, are most of you guys running DSC off or MDM? I've been pretty happy with the Euro MDM. It saved me a couple times when I got on it too much; one time was where adamranger left his mark.
I've been running with DSC off for a while now but I did run with Euro MDM for some time before that. My take is that if you're having the slightest hesitation about turning it off... than keep it on, you may need/want the safety net. As many have said, the issue with keeping driving with MDM on is that it may hide some "questionable" driving habits without you realizing. You will have to eventually turn it off to progress beyond a certain point. But this will also come with increased risk.

To me this is not a "black or white" issue. MDM is totally fine for some and totally wrong for others. I sometime hear/read people saying that MDM is slower. From my experience, it has little effect on my lap time but also I will tell you from my experience that it "eats" up brake pads significantly faster when it is on (it's applying individual brake here and there without me really messing up anything). I was going to post a video of 2 sessions back to back with MDM on and off to show how MDM kicks in. I borrowed a data acquisition device (Aim Solo) and decided to take some data on this much debated topics Keep an eye on the Track section, I should have it up soon...