View Single Post
      03-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
e92mcb
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: DD Express

Unhappy OEM 19 inch wheel rubbing?

My 2012 e92 has OEM 19 inch wheels, no zcp, everything stock. I have searched the forum, but couldn't find any info about OEM wheels having rubbing problem.

The front left wheel well area makes a very loud scratching noise if I goes into a corner fast with some change of elevation. It sounds like the tire scratched something at almost full suspension compession with the wheels turned. I couldn't find any rubbing marks around the fender, but upon closer inspection, I found part of the left front wheel housing cover is scratched off.

Name:  IMG-20130328-WA0001.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20130328-WA0003.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  59.9 KB

I believe the part scratched off is the part in the red circle

Name:  front-wheel-housing-cover .jpg
Views: 522
Size:  95.9 KB

I'm not 100% sure the scratch noise is related to this part, but it seems nothing else can scratch this part. My SA told me it is "normal" for the wheel well to rub over bumps. But it didn't happen while driving over bumps. The suspension didn't hit the bump stop as far as I can tell.

On the street, it sometimes happens on mountain road with big elevation drop followed by a slightly tight corner (EDC comfort). On the track, this happens at fast 160 km/hr sweepers (EDC sport).

Any thoughts on this? Is this normal? I have driven other M3 with OEM 18 inch wheel, and never had this issue.